I have just started using Wicket, and I use Guice for bindings.
However, I got into a situation where private final fields initialized
directly would be null.

Here is the code in my WebApplication constructor:

addComponentInstantiationListener(new IComponentInstantiationListener() {
            private final Injector injector = Guice.createInjector(new
Module());

           public void onInstantiation(Component component) {
                injector.injectMembers(component);
            }
        });

I prefered this to the wicket guice plugin, that seems to do the above
steps manually by reimplementing Guice logic.

Here is my simple Page body:

    private final Label message = new Label("message", "Text");

    private Service service;

    @Inject
    public void init(Service service) {
        this.service = service;
        add(message);
    }

I get a NullPointerException on the add, because message is null.
According to my understanding of Java, I can`t even see how this is
possible. The default constructor should be called regardless, and
thus message would get set.