Well I made a new behavior, extending AbstractBehavior implementing
IHeaderContributor.  I gave this behavior a reference to the Form that might
have errors, and I added the behavior to the Page on which the Form lives.
In this case, the behavior's renderHead(...) is called as expected.

I'm not going to open a JIRA because I'm not completely sure this is a bug
and I can't easily switch to Wicket 1.3 to confirm that it still exists.
The question though, is, "can a Component implement IHeaderContributor
successfully?"