The page does a pretty good job explaining how the .properties work.

If you have global properties, you want them to go in your
MyApplication.properties file which sits right along MyApplication.java.
For cases where you only need specific properties for a component, place the
properties file with the components name right alongside it.  Wicket will
start at the bottom and work its way up looking for the property key.  If
you look at the source (don't be scared)
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/wicket/trunk/wicket/src/main/java/org/apache/wicket/
there are a whole bunch of Application*.(properties|xml).