The filtering replaces the maven properties in your "templates".  Take
a look at:

http://svn.carmanconsulting.com/public/wicket-advanced/trunk/src/main/resources/META-INF/beans.xml

That's my spring configuration file.  All of the database settings,
the Wicket configurationType, etc. are all replaced by maven
properties when they are copied.