From: Sebastiaan van Erk [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Saturday, June 07, 2008 3:57 AM
To: users@wicket.apache.org
Subject: Re: (Class<? extends Page<?>>) casting troubles

Zappaterrini, Larry wrote:
Sorry, I should have been more clear about subtype. :) When dealing
with
raw types, the raw type is considered a super type of the generic
type.
So Bar is a super type of Bar<?>. Since RawType extends the raw type
Bar, consider it to be a peer of Bar<?>. When you consider them as
peers, a warning is warranted. The new example you use works due to
erasure. Bar<?> as declared in source code becomes Bar in byte code.
So
the statement becomes:

        Bar bar = new RawBar();

Which is perfectly legal. I have found that most of perceived
inconsistencies in Java generics stems  from erasure and sub type
substitution. The golden rule of generics is that the byte code
produced
by compiling generics will never produce an invalid cast so long as
the
code does not produce any warnings. This causes some things that may
seem intuitive to be illegal.

Thanks for your explanation. I still think it's all rather horrible though. Type erasure was a huge mistake if you ask me. Two questions for

you though...

1) Can you come up with an example where assigning a Foo<? extends Bar> to a Foo<? extends Bar<?>> causes an invalid cast? (So I can understand why this intuitive seeming assignment is illegal).

2) How do you get rid of the warning in Class<Foo> clazz = Foo.class without using Class<?>? Because it would seem strange if there is no warning free way to use a certain language construct...

Regards,
Sebastiaan