Of course. In the toy example I attached, the obvious solution is to add an
id parameter.
However, in some cases, for instance when the factory methods contain longer
parameter lists, the extra identifier parameter tends to clutter the API. I
really like the encapsulation that Panels offer, but it kind of bugs me that
they always need to be created in the context of the consumer's markup (that
is, knowing the markup identifier at the consuming end). Maybe I just
haven't fully understood the Wicket "paradigm" yet...

Still, you did not really answer my original question (although you may have
done so, implicitly... :-).
Just to make things absolutely clear: can a Panel only be assigned an
identifier at the time its constructor  is called?

/Peter