You don't *need* Maven, but if you want to do your own thing, chances are
you're going to have to do more of the investigations into issues yourself
(e.g. provide details ) & may find it easier to actually install & use
Maven.  For a start, it doesn't need to "download hundreds of libraries to
function" - the first time a project is run, it'll try & download what it
needs, but it has an offline mode too if you want to download the
dependencies seperately.

Anyway, no idea about velocity, other than are you sure you downloaded &
installed the velocity jar itself, not just the wicket-velocity extension?
With SLF4J, did you add an implementation as well as the API?  Maybe see the
jars in the wicket-examples WAR 's WEB-INF/lib/?  Beyond that, I can't help,
as I use IDEA & Maven!

/Gwyn