For wicket keeping server state gives you more performance, except maybe the
serialization penalty which is an overhead.

But if you have enough memory for your clients (the expense to scale out) it
is way faster

If you use bookmarkable/stateless pages then everything has to be
constructed on the the server everytime. If those pages
are huge you create a lot of garbage.

Also if you push a lot of state to the client means that you use more
bandwidth and that is way more expensive then memory/disk on the server.

If a page is in memory in wicket and you press for example refresh. It is
really really fast. there is almost no overhead what so ever.
(except getting data in the detached models again)

But this all depends greatly on what kind of framework you use. For example
GWT gives you only client side state, yes that scales pretty good on that
part.

johan