so write a component that works the way you want.

as core devs we have to maintain a hard balance between simplicity and
flexibility. the more pluggable/customizable you make something, the
more complicated it becomes.

we do not make core components ultra pluggable because they serve as a
basis and examples for users who want to see how they work and want to
implement something similar. what we do concentrate on a lot is making
writing your own components easy.

if you look at the dropdownchoice class hiearchy you might find a base
class that is a good starting point and will get you 80% of where you
want to go. the other 20% are up to you.

-igor