>I am not quite sure why Double and Integer are handled differently when it
comes to grouping

in AbstractIntegerConverter, NumberFormat is initialized with this:

numberFormat.setGroupingUsed(false);

I asked long time ago while different policy for integer and float and the
answer was for integer, most use case don't want grouping.  But I think the
real reason is so we can figure how to make custom converter and how to
install it application wide :)