I now have this working by using a nested form around the listview and using
an AjaxButton to submit the whole list every time I want to add an item.  I
don't need to mess with the submit behaviour of the button because the form
doesn't do anything.  Its just there to update the ListViews model.

I don't really understand why ListView uses the same id for each item.

I notice that a RepeatingView does not have the same issue as ListView of
re-using the same id.  Is it possible to use AJAX to insert a sibbling
element into the list?