Thanks for your opinion on this...
I think this is a similar approach to what I had in mind with the panel.
What I do not like about those Panel solutions is that the link has to be
wrapped and thus in itself is not a subclass of Link anymore.
I think a really elegant solution should inherit from Link or one of its
subclasses...

I agree with you in what you said about implementing components fitting to
our needs ourselves. However, there are less common components in core as
well as in extensions... Anyway - it is okay to it it by oneself. I was just
hoping that there was a more elegant way to extend wicket components with
additional markup than wrapping it into a Panel or fiddling about too much
with the component tag body...