Hi,

Actually there is no deed to have BIRT in a separated WAR: in our project we
have included it as a (singleton) runtime which is part of the application.
We also have some kind of WEB interface to manage report parameters... We
found BIRT quite useful  for generating reports.... thought we had some
problems when migrating to new versions (sometimes things that were working
perfectly with one version got terrible unfixed when moving to the next).
With BIRT you get "for free" the ability to produce Excel, Word, etc...

In our project we went a bit further and built a machinery that allows to
combine BIRT (and non BIRT) PDF reports into books: BIRT reports are very
good in summarizing information but you are on your own when you have to
combine them... This "tool" allows you to build a tree like structure (a
book) where the nodes are BIRT reports. The  tool will help in collecting
all the bookmarks into a table of contents, generate combined bookmarks and
so on...

For simpler use cases I have used iText, JFreeChart, JExcelAPI, OpenCSV...

Best,

Ernesto