Okay, this sounds like the validation plugin (I've written) could be
useful: http://bassistance.de/jquery-plugins/jquery-plugin-validation/

You'd add a very small script to the head: $(function() {
$("#formid").validate() });

And then create inline rules based on the validation behaviour. There
are two options for those: Either classes and (custom attributes) or
metadata (which requires an additional plugin). I think
classes/attributes work really well and result in readable HTML,
though depending on the rules in use, it won't validate. For example,
to make an input required and an email address:

<input class="required email" name="... />

For an optional input with min and max length:

<input minlength="5" maxlength="15" />

For an input with min/max value:

<input min="5" max="10" />
Those are actually attributes defined by HTLM5
(http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#the-min-and-max-attributes).
I've tried to keep it close to specs where possible and already
existing.

The thing is: generating those classes/attributes with Wicket is
really easy and already works fine in a lot of projects. Let me know
if invalid HTLM isn't acceptable, and I'll detail the alternatives.

Jörn