Ok, so I had a look at the Palette component. Its very nice, but I don't
think it really helps me as it uses a select box (i.e. a pre-existing wicket
component) as a 'bin' for the droppables. This really abstracts out the main
part of my problem - how to bind and manipulate a bunch of divs with a
custom component.

To explain further: what I will end up with is a droppable 'bin' (a div)
which the user has been happily dragging stuff (other divs) onto - and
possibly sorting etc. The hole in my knowledge here is how to associate
these inner divs (the things that have been dropped) with some Wicket
component on the server side. I can associated the 'bin' div with a
MarkupContainer or something but I'm not sure how to dynamically keep track
of its inner divs once the user has submitted.

I've tried a solution using a ListView nested within a form but I'm not
entirely happy with it. For example, the number of 'slots' to drag things
onto has to be known at construction time - i.e. the user can not drag on 11
things if only 10 slots (say, nested textfields) have been created at
construction time (also I would prefer not to have pre-determined 'slots' -
just an area onto which many divs can be dragged). I would like to use
Jquery to do all the fancy front-end stuff (creating new 'slots' on the fly,
sorting etc) and just bind the results (all the dragged-on divs) to some
component in Wicket.

I've been playing about with wicket for about a month and this question
actually reflects an area of the Framework that I am not really getting so
far - how markup is bound to components at the lower level. I've read many
examples and the excellent Wicket in Action book but, understandably, they
seem to focus on how to use existing components and only briefly touch on
how to create your own components and how to really 'get at' the underlying
markup.

Any help, hints or pointers to further reading would be much appreciated as,
my current problem aside, I feel this is an area I need to crack before I go
any further.

Thanks - Neil.