I really wonder why converters are not the right thing to do?

Trimming crap off the input is a one-way conversion *imho*

Am 11.12.2008 um 20:45 schrieb pixologe:

Please note that these were just examples, not actual use cases of mine
(apart from the URL stuff).

Anyway, I think there are quite some use cases where fixing/ optimizing user input makes sense. I've always thought converters would be the way to go,
but just recently read that they aren't.

Having stuff like this done in the domain object's setter is far to backend for my taste. As this feature addresses user interaction, I think it is rather a matter of presentation, and I would not think that my domain object should have to care. Worse, using this scenario it would not be possible to use wicket's validation behavior _after_ doing the modification. One could
use a model as well, then.

kan-4 wrote:

As I remember, wicket trims spaces already, so you don't need do
anything special about it.

For DB, if you use hibernate (or if not, anyway you should have data
objects for your business entities), you can have something like that:
public class MyEntity
{
// This is mapped to database, but not for public, only database will use
it.
 private String siteUrlStr;
// this is your public interface:
 public SiteUrl getSiteUrl(){return new SiteUrl(getSiteUrlStr());}
 public void setSiteUrl(SiteUrl url){siteUrlStr = url.getStr();}
}

And in code the lists should be treated as List, Collection or so, not
as comma-separated strings (only in some particular places like
persisting in database or in user interface).