The url-pattern only supports using a wildcard at the end of the pattern
(e.g., "/myapp/*") or as a extension mapping prefix (e.g., *.do). See
section SRV.11.2 of the servlet specification, which can be downloaded from
here:
http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/final/jsr154/index.html

Therefore, I believe the closest you could do would be

<filter-name>WicketFilter</filter-name>
<url-pattern>/a/*</url-pattern>

<filter-name>WicketFilter</filter-name>
<url-pattern>/b/*</url-pattern>

If that doesn't suit your needs, you might need to extend WicketFilter with
a custom implementation.