its pretty easy to do. the headerstoolbar uses isortstatelocator
interface that the idataprovider must implement. sortabledataprovider
implements isortstatelocator in a manner where there is only one
current sort column, but its easy to write your own implementation
that keeps track of last n sort columns.

see isortabledataprovider, istorestatelocator, istorestate, and
sortabledataprovider for an example.

-igor