I knew it was pseudo code. With "JS library" I meant the stuff contained in
wicket-ajax.js, wicket-event.js, wicket-ajax-debug.js.

with replacing border, you meant the server-side concept of a Border, right?
I was talking more of a html related concept (bad description, sorry), where
a border is some markup surrounding some other markup. The later should be
kept untouched by the update. I think it shouldn't be to difficult to get a
DOM node by id, remove it or move it somewhere else temporarily, insert the
ajax-retrieve stuff, move the DOM node back to where it was. If the
implementation is as simple as this, it would be a feature worth adding,
wouldn't it?

Regards

-----
-------