Your planing something quite impressive here ... or frightening ;)

My comments:

Lucene/Hibernate Search
I'd strongly disagree in using neither Lucene directly nor Hibernate Search.
I'd give +1000 to Compass (http://compass-project.org/) instead. I migrated
my projects completely from Hibernate Search to Compass and didn't regret it
a single second.

Jackrabbit
Doesn't Jackrabbit come wit Lucene integration itself?

Terracotta
I used Terracotta for a while. Don't know what you mean by "all across the
world", but I'd say that Terracotta was built with very low network latency
in mind. However, You will need *a lot* of users and page impressions until
you'll really need it (move stuff like search on dedicated machines, maybe
clustered with terracotta (compass comes with terracotta support)).

Facebook Connect
I integrated a Wicket application with Facebook (http://www.setlist.fm/).
Feel free to contact me, if you're interested into that stuff.

Regards

tauren wrote:

> Happy new year!
>
> My team is in the preliminary stages of designing a large social
> wicket web application and I'm trying to identify a good set of
> existing tools and technologies that can be leveraged to simplify the
> development of this application.  I would love to hear the opinions
> and suggestions of other Wicket users.  Note that I want to use open
> source tools as much as possible.
>
> Here are some of the tools that I feel might help.  I realize this is
> a big list and may be off-topic, but am still interested in which
> technologies other Wicket developers have found work well with a
> Wicket app. I would appreciate any comments or opinions of these
> technologies as well as suggestions and alternatives that you feel
> would be worth my consideration.
>
> Wicket
> I assume no one here will object to this.  I plan to use version 1.4.
>
> MySQL
> First choice for database. I've used it MySQL more than any other
> database and it hasn't let me down.
>
> PostgreSQL
> Second choice for database.  I've used it less than MySQL, so
> additional time might be required to install, configure, and use it.
>
> Spring + Hibernate
> I'm comfortable with these technologies as I've been using them for a
> few years with Wicket.  But I'm certainly open to suggestions,
> opinions, etc.
>
> Hibernate Annotations
> Ive been using HBM files, but I'm thinking I should look into getting
> rid of my mapping files and put the mapping right into the pojos.  Is
> this the right call?
>
> Salve
> Never used it, but it appears many Wicket developers do.  Is it worth
> looking into?
>
> WicketWebBeans
> Might use this for rapid back-end UI development.  Besides rolling my
> own, are there other tools like this?
>
> Brix
> Jackrabbit
> Our application will need some heavy duty CMS features, and this
> project looks powerful enough to do the job.  Jackrabbit is used by
> Brix to store content.
>
> Lucene
> Hibernate Search
> I will need site-wide and data-wide search that encompasses all of the
> content on the site as well as the data in the application.  I'm not
> sure if these are the best tools for this job, as the content will be
> stored in Jackrabbit.  So I need to be able to search jackrabbit and
> my data and produce unified search results.  Ideas?
>
> ACEGI
> Spring Security
> I haven't used either of these before so I'm not sure if they will
> solve my problem:
> This application will have many levels of roles and permissions.
> Users will belong to groups and can be assigned roles for a group that
> [...]

-----
-------
Stefan Fußenegger
http://talk-on-tech.blogspot.com // looking for a nicer domain ;)