I'm a newbie to Wicket, and I'm trying to determine if there's any particular
type of construct which would allow me to service an Ajax request from the
client.

I'm aware of some of the Ajax enabled components in the framework. However,
I'm looking for something more basic - this would be where I fire an
XMLHttpRequest from client-side code, completely outwith the control of any
particular component. Is there any type of behaviour/listener I could
implement that would allow me to capture this event server side, do the
necessary processing (ideally with access to the WebApplication and other
objects under the control of Wicket such as session data etc., which I guess
would rule out using resources) and then post a response in a manner which
isn't bound to a particular component, and could just be handled client-side
with the usual (for Ajax) callback mechanism?

Thanks in anticipation!