User's of my application will upload, edit, and delete files. For this, I'd like to have a simple "file repository" with the following features:

- Files are stored on the file system.
- Files are distributed over several folders (to avoid a single folder with 10,000 files, say).
- Support for transactions

Does anybody know of a simple Java library that satisfies these requirements?

For example: a Hibernate database with a relation "Files" holding tuples (DocId, FilePath), and a service with:

- id store(stream): creates from the stream a new file on the file system and inserts a new tuple into the relation, returns id - stream edit(id): returns a stream to a temporary copy of the file with the given id; updates the corresponding tuple to point to the temp file
- void remove(id): removes the corresponding tuple form the relation

... and a background job which deletes dangling files.

Thanks,
Kaspar