Nino and Martijn,

Thanks for the help.  Last night I was looking through the elephas
code and found a solution that I think will work for me.  It doesn't
store an LDM in the session, but stores an identifier and a
*transient* instance of User.  This seems like an effective solution
to me. I tried it out and haven't had problems yet.  Here's the
elephas session so you can see for yourself:
http://code.google.com/p/elephas/source/browse/trunk/src/main/java/org/elephas/webapp/application/ElephasSession.java?r=87

Then on my page, I just do something like this:
setDefaultModel(new DetachableUserModel(getSession().getUser(),userDao));

Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Thanks,
Tauren