Hello!
(this post went to the guice + the wicket mailing list)

I would really like GuiceProxyTargetLocator to have a public constructor. Currently it is package-access.
Furthermore findBindingAnnotation  should be made public static
I had to create a org.apache.wicket.guice.GuiceProxyTargetLocator2.cheat class + method in my codebase for to get around the limitation.

My usecase:
I still had problems using guice-injected members in serializable classes. Matej Knopp gave me some helpful hints on how to handle this.

i have somewhat solved it, using GuiceProxyTargetLocator .

AdminDao just a two - method interface of which happens to be implemented by a handful of DAOs. It is injected in factories, which in turn construct the Iterator. (not using @Inject in this case)

   public CommonIterator(AdminDao dao) {
       final Class<?> type = dao.getClass().getSuperclass();
this.dao = (AdminDao) LazyInitProxyFactory.createProxy(type, GuiceProxyTargetLocator2.cheat(type,null));
   }

Since i am not using a BindingAnnotation in this specific case, its ok to pass null. Otherwise, i would be forced to re-implement findBindingAnnotation - this could be made public static as well.

getSuperclass() is used to determine the "true" Type of the Class, because initially it is wrapped in a Guice Proxy object. is there maybe a better - guicy- way of obtaining this information from the dao instance? Is it true that Guice will always return a proxy- if not i will end up with a Class<Object> instance, which will break createProxy.

using my approach its impossible to use CommonIterator outside of a wicket application ( Batch jobs) - since there i do not have a WicketApplication initialized. So i'm not too happy about the solution.

This all feels messy, so i thought of how i think it could work - a more robust approach would be the following:

When Guice injectes into serializable Classes and a Wicket Application is present, modify Guice in a way that it returns LazyInitProxyFactory.createProxy instances, so that i do not have to worry about this. I think this would be a serious change to the guice api, a sort of instantiationChain in the injector, in which the wicket app could register itself. Or is there already a mechanism in place that allows me to hook into the instantiation and obtian the information where the object is being injected into?