Bummer - knew it couldn't be as easy as it looked.  :)  I don't suppose it's
something you could do like this, then?

Border.html

main_white.css
TD.foo { background-image: (/url/whiteimages/bar.jpg); }

main_black.css
TD.foo { background-image: (/url/blackimages/bar.jpg); }

As to performance, not sure I understood the question, but selecting the
"themed" borders rather than normal borders doesn't slow anything down.  Is
that what you meant?