I *do* feel your pain and I understand the problems you are having.
the m2eclipse plugin is actually participating in the build that Eclipse initiated (which it does do after every code change), which helps keep things in sync. What exactly it does will depend on what needs doing (for instance if you have a lot of filtered resources, it's going to take longer).

About your corrupt modules... I also get that from time to time, but I usually find that happens if there is an error some place like in a POM file. Finding it and fixing it usually resolves the problem.

You may be able to turn off that auto build... earlier versions of the plugin didn't do it but you'd end up with partial builds on the eclipse side and more of a mess than was worth it.

You can also make sure you have run a build in the console as it will speed up the m4e plugin (it doesn't have to download anything).

I think that if your happy with the mvn eclipse:eclipse method of working, then you don't really need to change.. your modules are clearly designed for it and the m2e plugin does pretty much the same thing anyway.

I guess it's a bit unfortunate that you had so much trouble with it, but I can tell you that I use the m4e plugin every hour of every working day without any trouble. I think part of why it works so well for me is that I keep my modules small and flat (little to no nesting) and so *don't even notice* when it's building... it may be that it works for me because of how I work and organize my projects.

So, the other plugin I was talking about is the q4e plugin... I was very not impresses when I tried it. You can check it out yourself at:
http://code.google.com/p/q4e/

Also, I noticed before that the q4e plugin was going into Eclipse, however I now see that the m4eclipse plugin is becoming an official plugin:
http://www.eclipse.org/m2e/

- Brill Pappin