Let's say you have a Java object with 20 fields that's mapped to a database using Hibernate. I don't see that there's much difference in terms of memory utilization between using that object as the model and creating a separate object with 20 fields to use as the model. Following the principle of not repeating yourself, I'd say that everything else being equal, it makes more sense to use the persistent object. Of course there will always be fields that you don't want to be set directly from the form, but you can use Brill's strategy of wrapping the persistent object in another object that just contains the fields for which you want to implement some extra logic.

There's a subtle difference between having the model reload the persistent object every time and just keeping a hard reference to it that is worth mentioning. If you keep a hard reference to the persistent object, and you're using Hibernate's version or timestamp feature, and you actually merge the object back into the session rather than copy the fields to a newly-loaded object, then Hibernate will be able to detect cases in which the user is trying to save edits to a stale version of the object. This isn't always useful, but it might be, depending on your requirements.