Are you using Tomcat?

I had a similar problem (with the word café specifically) and it turned out
to be caused by Tomcat's URL encoding. By default, Tomcat uses the system
encoding for URLs. You will have to edit the Tomcat configuration to change
this:

1. Open $CATALINA_HOME/conf/server.xml

2. Locate the <Connector> that is being used. If you are accessing Tomcat
   directly, this will be the HTTP/1.1 connector. If you have Tomcat fronted
by
   Apache HTTPd, this will be the AJP connector. If in doubt, edit both.

3. Add the attribute: URIEncoding="UTF-8".

Example:

<Connector port="8080" protocol="HTTP/1.1"
           connectionTimeout="20000"
           redirectPort="8443"
           URIEncoding="UTF-8" />

--