Changing my search query to this got some better hits:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=cacheability
So, allow me to refine my question based on that - has anyone tried some of
these approaches (see first result from above) to generrate and dump content
to a static file (renamed if it chages) and having the wicket home page be a
redirect to that file, or something like that?

Thanks,
-- Jim.