Getting to to do something specific is not usually my problem with GWT (its component model feels just like Wickets does)... the biggest problem I have is having less control over the html, which makes things a bit harder to deal with (Googles ui style now is partly the result of how you work with GWT).

GWT itself is pretty extensible, but I found that ExtJS was just the opposite... although it has gotten better in ExtGwt.

Anyway, I actually like them both :) and keep both in my toolkit... only wish they could play better together.

BTW - your article mentioned not being able to see the HTML... the developer tools plugin for Firefox has a "View Generated Source" command, which makes things a lot easier when your debugging GWT html (I've even used it on Wicket for that matter).

- Brill Pappin