>From what I can see you could have:

List<Component> refreshThese = new LinkedList<Component>();

you add your components to refreshThese.add(component); and if your db
update fails, just call refreshThese.clear()? Otherwise iterate
through all refreshThese components and
target.addComponent(refreshThese.get(itemIndex));

Could it work? Why not?

**
Martin