Thanks for the responses.

Jeremy: That's really strange... when I put the ResourceReference inside the
image constructor it did work for the png image.  I still not having any
luck getting my javascript and .swf files to load, but I will continue
trying.

Igor: I made sure the IDE is copying all my filetypes into the classes
folder, so that doesn't seem to be the problem in this case.

I will update this topic if I figure out what I'm doing wrong.