the problem is the page inside the modal window has a reference to the
outer page - you pass the modal window which has an anonymous close
callback which keeps a reference to the page. so you keep serializing
the entire page with every ajax request as part of the current page.

you dont need the reference to the modalwindow, you can use
ModalWindow.closeCurrent() to close it.

-igor