Hi Adrian,

> - Are you setting your entity manager on the threadlocal during
> onBeginRequest by putting it on or relying on the inititalvalue for the
> threadlocal.

I think you hit the problem here. The example I used (in German at
http://rattlab.net/2008/10/persistenz-fur-den-feedreader/) implies
that every Request uses its own thread and I never expected threads to
be reused. I used simple initialization of the variable and closed the
EntityManager in onEndRequest().
That highlights why I didn't like the ThreadLocal() approach - it
depends on implementation details somewhere out of my control (and
knowledge).

Thanks to all who answered - also the discussion about
Spring/Guice/whatever was informative (and entertaining).

Expect to get some beginner questions from me again soon :)

Regards, Frank