Thanks Igor for making me THINK!

This was my issue. I instituted my own ConfigurationType. At the time I did
not realize that the WebApplication.getConfigurationType() was being called
at many points during the rendering phase. So each time this method was
called it was thrashing about in LDAP - which is where I am storing many of
my properties. It makes sense to me NOW :)

All fixed and AJAX is working SUPER FAST.

--Tim