Hum, I may not have a complete understanding of optimistic locking. Bottom
line is that when someone wants to start editing, I want them to know before
they start if someone else is already in the midths of editing a given item.
I do not want to just hope that two people never edit the same thing and if
they do error out on the last to try to save if they didn't have the right
starting version. It seems like that is what could happen in the optimistic
approach but I could be wrong as I have never used the approach. I will
study the LockMode.UPGRADE, but if it doesn't give me a way to give user
feedback when someone else is in edit "thinking" mode, I don't think I would
use it.