I got the same error today, seems totally random.

The only possible explanation I have is that maybe the subclass (LoginPage$1
in your case) stores a PageHolder class instead of the actual page
(LoginPage) when serialized, and when LoginPage$1 is deserialized, the
PageHolder retrieves/points to a different Page.

I was just as baffled as you since in my case the two classes were totally
different, like in your case (com.application.MainPage vs
wicket.quickstart.LoginPage).
In my case it's two pages from the same application, but they are
functionally separate and never interact.

In my case I made the inner class that caused the problem a static inner
class. Since I have been unable to reproduce the problem I cannot confirm if
this resolves the problem.

Can you share what kind of class LoginPage$1 is? (it's the first anonymous
inner class in LoginPage) Is it a class which extends IModel?

Also, you someone from the Wicket team confirm if my explanation above is
possible at all (PageHolder retrieving a different class when
deserializing)?

Bas