For what it's worth, I added the following Calendar code to the end of the
method, which fixed the problem, but I'm thinking there has to be a better
way to handle this.

public Date convertToObject(String value, Locale locale) {
        final Pattern pattern = Pattern.compile(REGEX_PATTERN);
        if (StringUtils.isNotBlank(value) &&
!pattern.matcher(value).matches()) {
            throw new ConversionException("Invalid date format");
        }
        Date d = super.convertToObject(value, locale);
        Calendar c = Calendar.getInstance();
        c.setTime(d);