I put a breakpoint on the detach method of my model and had a look at
the Components whose detach methods were called higher up in the stack
trace.  It looks like the detach method on the model is being called
for every component on the page.  All the components link to the same
underlying model via a CompoundPropertyModel, so I guess lots of calls
to the detach method of the model should be expected?

Ian.