So I decided that I am not experienced enough yet with Wicket or using
inmethod DataGrid to try to do images but would like to at least change the
background color based on an integer value. This is what I did but still
think it is somewhat lame and probably there is a much better approach:

For my column that contains an Integer in its model I did the following:

          @Override
          public boolean isEscapeMarkup() {
            return false;
          }

          @Override
          protected IConverter getConverter(final Class<?> varType) {
              return new IConverter() {
                  //serialVersionUID.

                  public Object convertToObject(String value,
                      java.util.Locale locale) {
                    // TODO Auto-generated method stub
                    return null;
                  }

                  public String convertToString(Object value,
                      java.util.Locale locale) {

                    String color = "white";

                    switch ((Integer) value) {
                    case 0 : color = "gray";