Found it, sorry.

For the record its documented in wicket.contrib.examples.gmap2.many.ManyPage

For Gmap ajax to work the js has to be in the header. Solved by adding

add(new GMapHeaderContributor("YOUR GOOGLE API KEY"));

at the page level (for me).

Sorry, stepped away for a few hours and came back and the solution
presented itself,
John-