I Think menu2 can do what you want as Ryan said. You can override the
getCssClass() to return your own class name, because the default is
yui-skin-sam which will span the width of yui-menu to the whole of the
containing box.

    final YuiMenuBar mb = new YuiMenuBar("menuBar")
        {
            @Override
            protected String getCssClass()
            {
                return "mymenuskin";
            }
        };

HTML

.mymenuskin .yuimenubar {
                width: 100px;
                background-color: #DDD;
                border: 1px solid #000;
                float: left;
            }
and then customise the menu to what ever look and feel you want. the link
below can be a guide, but also firebug can help you see the css class
generated.

http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/menu/#cssref

BTW... whether the menu pop-up on mouse click or mouse over is due the the
css class "yuimenubarnav" -
http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/menu/#usingmenubar - unforunately at this
moment, this is not overriddable.

hth josh