If you used the quickstart to get your project going, you have a file
called Start.java.  From your IDE, just run Start.java in debug mode
and you will get automatic class reloading, etc.  If you didn't use
the quickstart, then create a quickstart and copy that file out of it.
 Modify it to fit your needs and use it.

I prefer Eclipse.  But anytime you ask about preferred IDE, you are
bound to get a variety of answers.

--
Jeremy Thomerson
http://www.wickettraining.com