Thank you for your answer Igor.

 I did not manage to append the id to the url. I tried something like this:

                tabbedPanel = new AjaxTabbedPanel("mytabpanel", tabs) {

                        @Override
                        protected WebMarkupContainer newLink(String linkId,
final int index) {

                                final WebMarkupContainer c = new
IndicatingAjaxLink(linkId) {

                                        @Override
                                        public void onClick(AjaxRequestTarget
target) {
                                                setSelectedTab(index);
                                                if (target != null) {

target.addComponent(MyTabbedPanel.this);
                                                }
                                                onAjaxUpdate(target);
                                        }
                                };

                                c.add(new SimpleAttributeModifier("href",
"&itemId=xxx"));

                                return c;
                        }

 I also tried:
                        final IModel<String> model = new
AbstractReadOnlyModel<String>() {
                                       @Override
                                       public String getObject() {
                                                return "&itemId=xxx";
                                       }
                        };

                        add(new AttributeModifier("href", model) {
                               @Override
                               protected String newValue(String currentValue,
String
replacementValue) {
                                  return currentValue + replacementValue;
                               }
                        });

 but in WebRequestCycle, the URL is always without "&itemId=xxx" at the end.

Can you please tell me what am I missing here? Or what should I do to modify
the url generated by ajaxtabpanel?

Thank you,
Marius Anton