This idea of 'just doing it' and a culture of incremental knowledge
attainment is crucial in my book.
I've made a point of building the most trivial webapps I have in wicket. For
example we recently re-did our WISP public homepage (
http://www.valleyinternet.com/) and I used it as an opportunity to learn
more wicket. The page is simple and minor andbarely worthy of 'wicketizing'
but doing something that specifically does -not- have a huge audience and
does -not- have massive features is a great way to learn more without the
pressures of developing a "real" app.
In that case I got to work with GMap2, learned some new ajax interactions
(including some gotchas) and was able to decisively break from my Ant past
and fully embrace Maven. So we got a new homepage but I got to pick up new
techniques that I am now applying to other trivial (and not so trivial)
webapps.

So, DO IT but do it often..

John-