right, and the next logical extension is controlling visibility, or
maybe which panel variant to display. why should the developer be
involved if the designer wants panel A vs panel B, thats silly. so
next step is wicket:if and wicket:else based on some condition
expressed through some type of EL. once you go down this path you will
end up with the mess that is jsps.

officially we will not support this type of control because there are
plenty of other alternatives which we find more appealing. that said,
there are plenty of ways for you to accomplish what you want, we do
not slam doors on ideas just because we dont agree with them.

eg you can use IComponentResolver and create a factory panel that can
create a child based on the attributes of a tag, etc.

-igor