Yes, I take a second read and got the same impression than you.
You can extends AjaxPagingNavigationIncrementLink and open a JIRA
1 - to change the doc:
"pageable and itself or the navigator the link is part" to "pageable, itself
and the navigator the link is part"
since the AjaxPagingNavigationBehavior do the test:
        if (navigator == null)
        {
            throw new WicketRuntimeException(
                "Unable to find AjaxPagingNavigator component in hierarchy
starting from " + owner);
        }
2 - or change the behavior...