thanks a lot for the help and the links!
I checked them all out, the second one (upload panel) was too complicated
for me atm.
Maybe I'l come back to it when I'l have more experience with wicket.

I liked the timed ajax behaviour example, but couldn't figure out  exactly
how it works so i could use it in my project.
??how does the behaviour know how to update the clock??

I currently solved this problem by "filtering" the input from the uploaded
file and creating a correct object model (Set<String>)  out of it,
then setting the modelObject of the textarea to be this filtered one.

I also didn't understand what you meant by simply using reflection to put
the content of the file into the textarea,
did you mean simply using setModelObject( (Set<String>) uploadedContent) ?

thanks again for all the help so far