Yes, I got that part right, thank you. But somehow the item is not hi-lighted in my grid. When the grid instance is constructed and added to the page, the data to be shown in the grid has not yet been loaded. I know that the row i want selected is going to be there once the data is loaded and the grid is displayed, so I tried to create a Model containing the selected object and setting it on the grid with DataGrid.selectItem(), and obviously it partially works since other components that are depending on the grid for model data is displaying the item correct information from the preselected item.
But still, the row in the displayed grid remains unselected.

So far I have configured my grid with
datagrid.setRowsPerPage(10);
datagrid.setClickRowToSelect(true);
datagrid.setClickRowToDeselect(false);
datagrid.setAllowSelectMultiple(false);
datagrid.selectItem(preselectedModel, true);

Any other suggestions?

Martin Grigorov wrote:
grid.selectItem(rowModel);