On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 7:52 AM, Jeremy Thomerson <jer...@wickettraining.com
> wrote:

> Sorry, that was an overly terse statement.  Peter Thomas has put a lot of
> work into JTrac, and has done a lot of things that I admire (for instance,
> some of his performance testing blog entries, etc).  He is also very
> helpful
> on the mailing list.
>
> The reason I said not to look at it is that when I was using it, I found
> that nearly all of the components were created without the use of models -
> "pushing" data into the component rather than making it pull from a model.
> While that works fine for a small bug tracker, it would not work well in
> most enterprise applications - leading to performance and potentially
> memory
> issues.
>
> It's not that it's bad software - but I've taught enough training classes
> see that one of the most common pitfalls to those new to Wicket is to
> always
> push data into the models.  This works fine in some instances, but is not a
> best practice and can lead to a lot of problems later if you don't know
> what
> you're doing.  That's why I said what I did.

Agreed.  JTrac was the first ever Wicket project I attempted, ported the UI
over from Spring MVC in a rather short time.  It's not as bad as Jeremy
makes it out to be though (psst: he's a perfectionist and runs a Wicket
training course :P) and I took care to use a detachable model for the
primary ListView.  JTrac also has a perf-test JMeter script checked-in and
users consistently praise the performance.

I guess this means that even Wicket apps created by newbies will end up
performing rather well.  Anyway, here's an open source Wicket application I
did recently, which I dare say demonstrates "idiomatic" usage of Wicket
models:

http://code.google.com/p/perfbench/